Supporting our work
The mission of The Campus Kitchens Project is to use service as a way to strengthen bodies, empower minds, and build communities. At the Campus Kitchen at Washington and Lee we combat hunger and promote nutrition by recovering and reusing food that would otherwise go to waste into balanced meals for low-income members of the community in Rockbridge County.
In an average week, CKWL serves 700 meals throughout Rockbridge County. Our partnerships include local schools and afterschool programs, support programs for disabled adults, and community support organizations.
The Campus Kitchen also supports leadership development in students. Every year eighteen W&L students take on the responsibility of shift leadership and program development to continue to build a strong connection with our community.
In addition to our regular meal service, the Campus Kitchen at Washington and Lee runs several programs to increase our impact:
· Seed to Feed is our nutrition education curriculum. Working in the classroom and in our back-campus organic garden we teach clients the importance of healthy eating and where our food comes from.
· The Weekend Snack Program is a partnership with local schools to provide non-perishable snacks and meals for elementary students eligible for the Free or Reduced School lunch programs. Our goal is to eliminate food insecurity these students may experience over the weekend when school breakfast and lunch are not available by sending home snacks on Friday afternoon in a backpack.
Want to make a difference? Here’s how you can help:
· A $5 donation will provide weekend nourishment for five elementary students.
· A $25 donation will provide 200 individual meals.
· A $100 donation covers a month of transportation costs.
· A $250 donation will provide sanitation chemicals for 3 months.
· A $500 donation will create three raised bed learning centers at the garden.
· A $1,500 donation will allow CKWL to serve a month’s worth of meals.
· A $2,500+ donation directed to the Friends of Rockbridge Endowment will ensure that CKWL has support for years to come. "
Click here and select 'Campus Kitchens' as your designation to make a gift today!